Archers Adda

Adda is Hindi for den/lair.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bus shelter blues

Two letters to the editor in GN:

Shelters, please ...
Despite my letter requesting a shelter for passengers waiting at the Rolla bus stand in Sharjah, there has been no development. Most of the time buses do not come on time for Dubai-bound passengers and they are forced to wait in the hot sun.

The authorities concerned should act fast and provide shelters, at least for the sake of elderly passengers. There is no need for air-conditioned bus terminals, a simple shelter to protect from the sun will do.
From Mr K. Ragavan
Ajman

... here too
It is surprising that there are no sheltered bus stops inside the Jebel Ali Free Zone. It is difficult for people to wait for buses in the hot sun.
The poor labourers, after working the whole day, can be seen waiting for buses in the sun. Dubai Municipality should fix some shades there.
From Mr R. Qamar
Dubai


November '05 to the present.
7 months for a simple driving licence and it keeps slipping from my hand.
Ajman has lesser number of people to sign up, and therefore the slower they issue licences, the more the revenue. However, this is not the case in Dubai. The faster they issue, the more the number of people who queue up.

I was often told that life begins in the sandlands after receiving a licence. Oh fine, I thought. I've driven my car back home for 2 years, the maximum time it would take was 3 months. 7 months past and 6 tests later, I have no clue on when I will finally get it in my hands.

Days are getting hotter, it's getting difficult to commute in buses. Air conditioning simply fails and even worse is the complete non existence of 'bus shelters'. No, not the 'proposed' air conditioned ones. But a simple roof over my head. I was at the Ghubaiba bus station. It's a major bus terminal, and they don't have one for buses that ply to Sharjah. So we - the impoverished lot of would-be licence holders and the voiceless common man, stand shoulder to shoulder in the hot sun at noon. We form an impromptu line. This line would help us get into each mini bus without putting up a fight. The number of people exceed the seating capacity of a standard mini bus. Yet it's extremely rare that we find a bigger bus at this major terminal. Sweat begins to pour down, and theres no sign of the bus. I begin to fidget - my minds racing. There has to be an alternative route.

But then the expressionless faces around me told me a different story. Their nonchalant stance signifies their daily struggle to just survive here - much less to commute. No grumbles, no frowns. The blinding sun doesn't even bring a sigh. Twenty minutes later, the bus finally arrives. We have executives in suits to site workers in overalls. The irony of a broad spectrum of society in such a narrow bus. Just as nauseating as the sweet smell of sweat and perfume.

11 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger moryarti said...

seems like you need some vitamine W buddy ..

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Tainted Female said...

I think you’ve done a wonderful job describing the reality of a nasty situation here in the Emirates. I particularly think ‘the expressionless faces’ comment is the strongest you made.

It is absurd that they’re considering building ‘air conditioned bus stops’ and yet still haven’t implemented the simplest shelters in some of the busiest public transport stops. Even more absurd is that people have mentally become accustomed to this; not even feeling the damage this does to their physical health.

Now, I know I’m most always on the government’s side when it comes to these sorts of things, but I remember questioning the lack of shelter at bus stops here over ten years ago. It shouldn’t take anyone that long to realize people need protection from the scorching heat.

Psst… Not that I’m implying anything… but I heard you CAN buy a license in Ajman, which would certainly be quicker…lol

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger archer14 said...

A decade back there weren't that many people who used buses and I clearly don't even remember seeing one.
Oh - the power of vitamin W, only if my salary justified it.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Amna_a said...

It's far too hot to be standing outside in this heat for more than 5 minutes!

Excellent post archer.. the last paragraph was so true and moving.. "We have executives in suits to site workers in overalls." We are all human in the end..

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger * said...

Buy an UMBRELLA and quit crying.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger * said...

p.s
some people think sweat and perfume is sexy. Mind u sweat and sweat is not!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger archer14 said...

Umbrella? No, thanks..Could you buy me a sombrero? LOL!
Puhlease..tell me of 'some people' who like the sweat-perfume combination (other than AD taxi drivers)

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger black feline said...

glad you took the road less travelled......for a change. It's an experience u will remember for life..which is good!I tried it...and scarred for life...hahahahahahahahah...just kidding...i like it actually!

 
At 2:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Exercise adderall Ambien components Pharmacy2005 ritalin online phaemacy Vagina plastic surgery photos Cleaning kitchen supply ground force chrysler crossfire speedster

 

Post a Comment

<< Home